The history of Kyoto is well preserved on Teramachi Street, which runs from Shijo Street to the old Imperial Palace. The shopping street began taking shape between Nijo Street and Oike Street in the late Meiji Era, when the Nijo stop on the city streetcar line opened.
In one corner is the modern-looking Kyoto City Hall, which is now undergoing repairs. The shopping street is visited by many people who enjoy its uniquely relaxed and culturally rich atmosphere, where the old and the new are elegantly fused.
The amaizing 40,000-50,000 Daruma dolls collected by Kido Chutaro (1871-1959, the son of the stateman Kido Takayoshi) are exhibited.
Kyoto Gokomachi Church
A single-storey brick structure built in 1913, with Gothic-style cues. One of few extant brick churches in Japan.
The 19 th Temple in the Saigoku Kannon Pilgrimage of 33 temples in the Kansai region. Founded by Priest Gyoen in 1005.
Heian Era shrine where a portable shrine abandoned by warrior monks on Shirayama (mountain) in Kaga is enshrined. On account of its connection with this shrine, the location Fuyacho Street is also known as Shirayama Street.
Kyoto Orthodox Church
The Greek Orthodox Church in Kyoto erected in 1903. Regarded as being second only to Nicholai-do in Tokyo in scale and status.
Former Residence of Kido Takayoshi
Villa where Kido Takayoshi (né Katsura Kogoro; statesman active during the turbulent end of the Tokugawa shogunate) ended his days.
Shimadzu Foundation Memorial Hall
A museum established in 1975 to commemorate the centennial of the founding of the Shimadzu Corporation, a leader in medical equipment and in the environmental arena based in Kyoto.
Established in 839 on Izumoji, close to the Kamigoryo Shrine in the north side of the city, as one of the shrines designed to pacify spirits. It was reloated to the present location, but it was named “Shimogoryo” for being paired with “Kamigoryo”.
Site of the Assassination of Yokoi Shonan
The site of where Yokoi Shonan was assassinated on 5 January, 1869. Yokoi was a theorist and politician during the late Tokugawa Shogunate and the early Meiji Era.
Established in 1567, during the late Muromachi Era. Possesses unusual stone statuary such as stone lanterns cherished by tea masters.